Sunday, October 14, 2018

Day 76


It’s been 76 days since I left my teaching career. I learned a lot from my teaching days, about people, kids, teachers, syllabus and mostly about myself. It is hard to change your career path when you’ve been study about it for more or less 5/6 years? Back then I was persistent in chasing career as Sub Editor. I applied more than twice for same post at SDI Studios but only twice they responded with task that I have to submit in two days. I still remember there were 2 tasks I need to complete which were watching video and listen carefully what the actors /actress utterance words and another one is simply translating English dialogue to Malay. They already prepared a set of tabulated form of dialogue separated by transition and pauses. Its not the entire movie/drama only small part of 15 to 20 minutes cut. I remember the videos are cut from teenage drama called Degrassi, British drama with a thick British accent and one American show where they compiled videos of disastrous event with silly commentators’ sort of like Ridiculousness from MTV. I’ve watched bad Bahasa Melayu subtitles for that kind of shows, it’s funny when the word ‘cool’ being translated as ‘sempoi’. Anyway, I only made it at second stage which another video to be translated/subtitled, never made to interviews. So, at that moment I realised maybe I enjoy doing that but it’s not my fate to be a Sub Editor.

To be certain that I am no longer want to do teaching, I accept the offer from Startots which located at Bukit Jalil. Anis recommended me to her Bos, I feel bad until today because I didn’t perform as I promised and Anis recommended me  in the first place so I feel like disappointing her too. Frankly, I think the salary does not meet the work load but I understand there a lot of cut you gotta do in a small private company but Startots will grow bigger. It just my level of competency does not up to Startots’ par. So I was there for a month. It was a miserable one month for me because I was half- hearted doing it and the housing area where I rent is really out of my comfort zone. Yeah adulthood is about adapting but I really had a hard time fitting in. Aneem visited me with coffee coz she knew how unhappy I am at that time and she helped me move and stuff. Nane fetched me almost every weekend and Abi drop by to see if I was fine. Cu and Ecu also being kind taking me to Putrajaya for weekend. However, I felt miserable through weekdays. At that point, I admire how Anis survived. I felt weak and unhappy. I space out a lot, my attitude changed and I cried anytime I was alone. This phase of my life makes me never stop feeling grateful with what I have and what I am today.

I don’t hate teaching but I know I’m lacking in classroom management and stuff. As I getting older, I tolerate less with BS stuff and things that does not amuse me. So there was a post looking for Pegawai Penerbit at my dad’s university. Not my dad’s like he owned it but he teaches there as one of the senior lecturer/pioneer there. My dad encouraged me to apply. I know I don’t think it’s a good idea to work at the same place with my dad. Frankly I am scared that I screw things up and effect peoples’ impression towards me or my dad plus I am scared of my dad. . He’s not too strict or anything it’s just me. I got my last opportunity to teach in SK Bukit Setongkol while I was in the middle of attending interview and test for UMP. The school still want me to teach eventhough they know I might not be able to finished 3 months there in case I made it to UMP.

I was assigned to teach year 1 and 2 Bahasa Melayu and Pendidikan Seni, Seni have been my dream subject to teach. How I wish my minor is Seni. I retired for my teaching career happily because I have done everything I ever wanted as a teacher. The school is small and quite new. All teacher was very nice and I like the bilik guru with air-conditioner and cubicle like arrangement for teachers. I think it’s the best school I ever served after SK Sungai Isap coz Mama is there. Hee~  Just like Startots, I served only 1 month there coz luckily I got my dream job. I always wanted to be in publishing field. I did not aspect that I made it coz all the candidates were UIAM, UKM, UPM alumni. I was the only person who is from private university. Alhamdulillah I got the post.

Currently I am the Pegawai Penerbit in this department. My job scope including proofreading, translating, Editor etc. I love the environment so far because my subordinates are kind and helpful people and mothers. I like to thanked my dad for telling me about the post and I like to clear up about me getting this job has nothing to do with my dad is one of the senior lecturer in this uni. The board members of human resources and TNC team have no idea that I am my dad’s daughter until they decided to choose me for the post. At that point of event, the last stage of interviews, I actually feel tired and almost no longer feeling nervous so I just be myself. The witty, playful version of myself with the panel. One of the tips that I can share is, in interview for shortlisted candidates, as how much as you want to be professional in front of the panel, don’t forget to be yourself. Your unique-self will win peoples’ heart. This can be applied to interviews that have many stages. I’ve been to an interview with this one private beauty company and they only call me back because I have the look to represent their company and I feel offended more than flattered. They also add I might need to lose kilos so I will become more ideal for the post because it have something to do with marketing. I understand the needs of the post but I know I worth more than that.

ps: Dear GRAMMAR NAZI, my English is not perfect even I am an Editor.

No comments: